Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What I Hope to Take from (and put into!) #DCMOOC

Over the next few weeks I'm participating in #DCMOOC, a connectivist MOOC about Digital Citizenship taught by Alec Couros. Probably my biggest goal is to really experience what a connectivist MOOC can be, as it's a new concept to me. As I begin a new role at my school as Director of Digital Literacy and Innovation, I also look forward to looking at Digital Citizenship as one of the digital literacies that I teach, and considering how I can enlighten my students and while respecting them and their online practices. I was deeply impacted recently by reading dana boyd's It's Complicated, where I was first struck that notion of truly respecting students' online practices (while also helping students to improve them).

Though I'm new to the connectivist MOOC concept, I understand that whatever I take from the course will rely on what I put in, so my goal is to be active here on my blog, in the Twitter chats when I can make them, and in the sessions each week. I just yesterday graduated from the year-long MA program I was pursuing at Columbia, so I should have the time to dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?